top of page
Firehouse Gear


The Shire administers the Bush Fire Act 1954 which places certain requirements on landowners to ensure that they minimise the potential for fires to occur.

All landowners have a responsibility to prevent the outbreak of fire by ensuring appropriate firebreaks are maintained and that inflammable material is removed from their land. You may be placing your property or your neighbour’s property in danger by not minimising the potential for fires to occur.

An infringement can be issued for non-compliance with the Bush Fires Act.  Further, if Shire staff are required to undertake work on your property to ensure that it complies with the legislation, the Shire may charge you for the costs associated with undertaking any such work. 

Dumbleyung Bushfire Hotline Ph: 9487 5410
SMS Notifications - Contact Shire Admin to be added to list, 9863 4012

< Downloadable 2022/23 Firebreak Notice PDF Brochure

2023 WAFES Awards poster nominations are open A4.png

Guide to developing a nomination

Call for Nominations for 2023 WAFES Awards

Burning Periods

Permits to Burn are issued from Fire Control Officers (FCO's) to Dumbleyung residents only.


Residents can obtain Permits to Burn by contacting the Fire Control Officer within their area.

A full list of FCO contact details can be viewed via the 2022/23 Firebreak Notice (link above).

Permits to Burn must be obtained prior to lighting a fire during the Restricted Burning Periods.

Permits are free of charge on request.

Please note: No burning of any type is permitted on days when the Fire Danger Rating is High or above.


> 1st February to 31st March (midnight to midnight)

> 19th September to 31st October (midnight to midnight)

Permits are required for burning during this period.

It is the responsibility of the permit holder to check that there is no Total Fire Ban imposed but DFES or that the fire danger rating is not High or above, permits are invalid during those times.


Garden Refuse burning & use of BBQ - 1m by 1m only, between the hours of 6pm and 11pm only. MUST HAVE fire preventions in place such as a hose and not to be near trees or tall/dry grass.



Burning of grass, paddock, bush and bonfires without a permit.

Things to do prior to burning:
  • Obtain a permit when required, contact your nearest FCO.

  • Check the Fire Danger Rating for the area, cannot burning during high and over,

  • Always being in attendance of your burn,

  • Have the ability to contain, control and extinguish your burn. This means You have suitable fire fighting equipment onsite for the duration of the burn,

  • Letting your neighbors know you plan to burn,

  • You aren’t under the influence of any substance,

  • There is more than one person doing the burn,

  • You call the Department of Fire & Emergency Services Communication Centre on 9395 9210 and register prior to lighting your burn. If your burn escapes and causes damage, you may be liable for costs. Bush Fire and Emergency Management

Annual Bushfire Compliance Inspections


a)   Where the land is 0.40 hectares or less all flammable materials on the land shall be 

      removed from the whole of the land.

b)   Where the land exceeds 0.40 hectares in the area, firebreaks at least 1.829m wide shall be

     cleared of all flammable material immediately inside all external boundaries of the land and

     also immediately surrounding all buildings situated on the land.

The Shire of Dumbleyung commences property inspections around the 1 November annually.

The purpose of the inspections is to assess landowners / occupiers compliance with the Fire Break Notice (linked above). All properties are to remain compliant until 31st March the following year.

Rangers or Shire Staff will carry out the inspections and are appointed Bushfire Control Officers under the provision of the Bushfire Act 1954. The Act provides Bushfire Control Officers the authority to enter any land or building, including private property, in the performance of their duties.

Fire Breaks

All Owners and/or Occupiers of Land within the Shire of Dumbleyung are guided by the Bush Fires Act 1954.

Pursuant to the powers contained in Section 33 of the above Act, you are hereby required on or before 31st October and thereafter up to and including 31st March to have a firebreak clear of all inflammable material on all rural and townsite land owned or occupied by you: